Trekking Mount Tambora is a once a lifetime experience. It is an exhausting hike to the summit, but not technically challenging. That means that most people can accomplish this trekking. The path is well maintained and mostly solid and there is no climbing needed. The trail leads mainly trough lush and beautiful rainforest up to Pos 5. After this point you reach the high plateau with its Edelweiss vegetation, where you finally reach the crater rim. Whosoever is not exhausted yet can climb the summit of Mount Tambora. It is also possible to go into the crater, but for this you have to stay three extra nights on the mountain.
Route Description MT Tambora Trekking
Day 1: The hike starts around 8 am at the Tambora Guesthouse at the village of Oi Bura which is located at bit higher up the mountain than Pancasila. The route leads through the coffee plantations before you get on the trail of the National Park. On the way to Pos 2 where you get lunch you pass Pos 1 where you can take a rest. Both Pos have fresh water from the nearby river. Around 3 pm you arrive at Pos 3 where you stay overnight. Your guide and porter will set up the tents and the kitchen for your early dinner before you go to bed.
Day 2: You get up around 2am and have a small night snack before your hike to the summit starts. After 4 hours hiking during the darkness you reach the crater rim at 2’630 m, where you can enjoy the superb sunrise over the crater of Mount Tambora. If you are fast, you can climb all the way up to the summit on 2’722m. After the peak you return back to Pos 3 where you get lunch, before you start your way down to the Tambora Guesthouse.
- additional night: If you want to avoid the very long hike down on day two and enjoy the surroundings one more night, it is possible to stay a second night at Pos 3.
- descent into the crater: the ultimate adventure
- there are various options to stay overnight on the mountain. Customised treks can be organised.
What to bring
- good hiking shoes
- torch or better a headlamp
- warm clothing for the night and the night hike.
- wind- and rainproof jacket
NOTE: The rest of the equipment like food and beverages, cooking utensils, tents, sleeping bags and sleeping mats are carried by the porters. Your luggage can be stored safe at the Tambora Guesthouse during the trekking. Bring only what you need.
Mt Tambora Trekking Facts
- starting point at Tambora Guesthouse 690m (2,260ft)
- crater rim 2,630m (8,630 ft)
- summit elevation: 2,722 m (8,930 ft)
- crater diameter bottom: 6 km (3.7 mi)
- crater diameter top: 8 km ( 5 mi)
- crater depth: 1,100 m (3,610 ft)
Read more about the history of Mount Tambora.
- National Park entrance fee IDR 150.000 per person
- one porter IDR 300.000 per day (normally two people need two porters, you just have to carry your personal belongings).
- one meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner) IDR 50.000 per person (including coffee, tea, drinking water and snacks)
- renting equipment for two people IDR 250.000 (1 tent, 2 sleeping mats, 2 sleeping bags)