Open in June 2023
Trekking Mount Tambora is a once a lifetime experience.
It is an exhausting hike to the summit, but not technically challenging. That means that most people can accomplish this trekking. The path is well maintained and mostly solid and there is no climbing needed. The trail leads mainly trough lush and beautiful rainforest up to Position 5. After this point you reach the high plateau with its Edelweiss vegetation, where you finally reach the crater rim. Whosoever is not exhausted yet can climb the summit of Mount Tambora.
Tambora is still very quiet compared to other mountains in Indonesia. The chances are high that you will be the only one on the rim of the caldera.
Tambora National Park is open from March till November. It closes from December till the end of February due to the monsoon.
Our glamping site is open and our tours start in May and we close by the end of October.
Route Description MT Tambora Trekking
Day 1 : You arrive in the village of Pancasila at the end of the paved road from where you continue on motorbike taxis for another 5 kms off-road to our Hill-top Glamping Site. There you rest and enjoy the view. A delicious dinner will be served.
Day 2: After breakfast we start hiking. The route leads through the coffee plantations before you get on the trail of the National Park. On the way to Position 2 where you get lunch you pass Position 1 where you can take a rest. Both Positions have fresh water from the nearby creek and safe to drink. Water can also be boiled.
Around 3 pm you arrive at Pos 3 at 1’600 m where you stay overnight. Your guide and porter will set up the tents and the kitchen for your early dinner before you go to bed.
Day 2: You get up around 2am and have a nutritious meal with coffee or tea before your hike to the summit starts. After 4 hours hiking during the darkness you reach the crater rim at 2’630 m, where you can enjoy the superb sunrise over Mount Tambora’s stunning caldera. If you are fast, you can climb all the way up to the summit on 2’722m. After the peak you return back to Pos 3 where you get lunch, before you start your way down to the Glamping site.
- additional night: If you want to avoid the very long hike down on day two, taking more time on the rim of the caldera and enjoy the surroundings one more night, it is possible to stay a second night at Pos 3.
- there are various options to stay overnight on the mountain. Customized treks can be organized.
What to bring
- good hiking shoes in the wet season and running shoes are sufficient during the dry season
- torch or better a headlamp
- warm clothing for the night and the night hike.
- wind- and rainproof jacket
NOTE: The rest of the equipment like food and beverages, cooking utensils, tents, sleeping bags and sleeping mats are carried by the porters. Your luggage can be stored safe with us during the trekking. Bring only what you need.
Mt Tambora Trekking Facts
- starting point at hiking portal 690m (2,260ft)
- Camp site pos3 1,600m (5,250 ft)
- crater rim 2,630m (8,630 ft)
- summit elevation: 2,722 m (8,930 ft)
- crater diameter bottom: 6 km (3.7 mi)
- crater diameter top: 8 km ( 5 mi)
- crater depth: 1,100 m (3,610 ft)
Four Days / Three Nights (4D/3N)
Two nights stay at Glamping Site – full board and 2 days / 1 night on mountain, all included.
Five Days / Four Nights (5D/4N)
Two nights stay at Glamping site – full board and 3 days / 2 nights on mountain, all included.
- Our package-deals are uncomplicated and trouble-free.
- included; National Park Entrance Fees, motorbike taxis from Pancasila Village to our Glamping Site (support the locals) ,5 kms offroad but don’t worry these guys know what they are doing, Porters, Camping Equipment, complete meals, water, drinks, snacks etc.
- Our porters carry all the logistics and can maybe take a few of your items but not a lot. If you have many things you need them to carry for you please request additional porters.
- Insurance is not included but easy to apply for with WORLD NOMADS Apply here for a hiking insurance
For reservation or further information don’t hesitate to contact us:
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org