Trekking Mount Tambora is a once a lifetime experience. It is an exhausting hike to the summit, but not technically challenging. That means that most people can accomplish this trekking. The path is well maintained and mostly solid and there is no climbing needed. The trail leads mainly trough lush and beautiful rainforest up to Pos 5. After this point you reach the high plateau with its Edelweiss vegetation, where you finally reach the crater rim. Whosoever is not exhausted yet can climb the summit of Mount Tambora. It is also possible to go into the crater, but for this you have to stay three extra nights on the mountain.
Tambora is still very quiet compared to other mountains in Indonesia. The chance is still high that you will be the only one on the rim of the caldera.
There have been only very few people who set foot on the base of the caldera, less than 50 people have ever been down there.
May 2018 NEW ‘Tambora’s fast lane’ for you who don’t want to hike much we now offer to take you by jeep via the southern slope of Mt.Tambora. At the bottem of each page you find our pages listed; click ‘Tambora’s fast lane’ to find out more on this.
Route Description MT Tambora Trekking
Day 1: The hike starts around 8 am at the Tambora Guesthouse at the village of Oi Bura which is located at bit higher up the mountain than Pancasila. The route leads through the coffee plantations before you get on the trail of the National Park. On the way to Pos 2 where you get lunch you pass Pos 1 where you can take a rest. Both Pos have fresh water from the nearby river. Around 3 pm you arrive at Pos 3 where you stay overnight. Your guide and porter will set up the tents and the kitchen for your early dinner before you go to bed.
Day 2: You get up around 2am and have a small night snack before your hike to the summit starts. After 4 hours hiking during the darkness you reach the crater rim at 2’630 m, where you can enjoy the superb sunrise over the crater of Mount Tambora. If you are fast, you can climb all the way up to the summit on 2’722m. After the peak you return back to Pos 3 where you get lunch, before you start your way down to the Tambora Guesthouse.
- additional night: If you want to avoid the very long hike down on day two and enjoy the surroundings one more night, it is possible to stay a second night at Pos 3.
- descent into the crater: the ultimate adventure
- there are various options to stay overnight on the mountain. Customised treks can be organised.
What to bring
- good hiking shoes
- torch or better a headlamp
- warm clothing for the night and the night hike.
- wind- and rainproof jacket
NOTE: The rest of the equipment like food and beverages, cooking utensils, tents, sleeping bags and sleeping mats are carried by the porters. Your luggage can be stored safe at the Tambora Guesthouse during the trekking. Bring only what you need.
Mt Tambora Trekking Facts
- starting point at Tambora Guesthouse 690m (2,260ft)
- crater rim 2,630m (8,630 ft)
- summit elevation: 2,722 m (8,930 ft)
- crater diameter bottom: 6 km (3.7 mi)
- crater diameter top: 8 km ( 5 mi)
- crater depth: 1,100 m (3,610 ft)
Read more about the history of Mount Tambora.
Prices are in Indonesian Rupiahs (IDR)
- Two nights stay at guesthouse – full board and 2 days / 1 night on mountain, all inclusive is
- Rp 3.2 million for one person
- Rp 4.4 million for two persons
- Three persons and more Rp 2.0 million per person
- Two nights stay at guesthouse – full board and 3 days / 2 nights on mountain, all inclusive is
- Rp 4.2 million for one person
- Rp 6.4 million for two persons
- Three persons and more Rp 2.8 million per person
Expedition into Tambora’s caldera
- Two nights stay at guesthouse – full board and 5 days / 4 nights on mountain, all inclusive is
- Rp 10 million for one person
- Rp 15 million for two persons
- Three persons and more Rp 7 million p.p
- Our package-deals are uncomplicated and trouble-free.
- Prices include; National Park Entrance Fees, Transport from Pancasila Village to the guesthouse and back, Porters, Camping Equipment, complete meals, water, drinks, snacks etc.
- Our porters carry all the logistics and can maybe take a few of your items but not a lot. If you have many things you need them to carry for you please request additional porters.
- Contact us for detailed itineraries.
For reservation or further information don’t hesitate to contact us:
Nurul and Rik, email@example.com,
+62 81 353 370 951, web form